Tips for a great 2018 for our friends in Spartanburg County
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County wants you to start the New Year off right by taking some steps to help insure a safe and happy 2018. Here are some tips that may help!
- Do not wait for daylight savings time to check your smoke detector. All smoke detectors have a manufacturing date on them. If that date over 10 years old, replace it! Also if your home has gas or oil heat it is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector.
- What was learned with the Gatlinburg fire is that there is not always time to gather things when an evacuation is required. Keep a prepacked bag handy with some cash, changes of clothes, medications, copies of important documents, etc.
- Have your family practice fire drills to make sure everyone knows how to escape, what to do and where to meet should a fire occur.
- If you are travelling and will be away for several days, please be sure to turn off the water so you do not come home to any surprises. Also, lower your thermostat but do not turn off the heat if there is a chance of freezing temperatures.
- If you are using rubber hoses for the water supply to your washing machine, they need to be replaced every 5 years. Consider using steel braided hoses as they are much more durable than rubber ones.
- Periodically check the water supply lines on ice makers and dish washers for signs of wear and replace when needed.
- Keep a properly rated fire extinguisher in your kitchen and be sure to have them checked periodically by a professional.
- Make sure you know where the critical shutoffs are in your home for main power, water and gas if applicable.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg County wishes you a wonderful and prosperous 2018!!
Vacation Preparation From SERVPRO of Spartanburg County!
Well it's that time of the year again, school is out and that family vacation is just around the corner. While you are checking off that list for stuff that you need to take with you such as sunscreen and sandals make sure you check off what you are leaving behind.
It's happens year after year, we receive that dreaded phone call from the neighbor. "I'm calling because my neighbors are out of town and water has been running out of their house since yesterday."
Time and time again we seem too busy planning on how much we have to do on vacation we forget to protect our house before we leave. Accidents happen all the time ranging from broken pipes and toilets causing major water damage to coffee makers and hair dryers causing fire and soot damage.
Below you will find some helpful hints to prevent that return trip from being an unplanned extreme home makeover.
Water Damage Prevention
-turn power off to hot water heater
-turn pilot light off to hot water heater (when applicable)
-use a shop vac and vacuum the HVAC drain line from the exterior side of house
-turn off main water supply to house
-after turning off water turn on outside water spigot to drain lines
Fire Damage Prevention
-check batteries in smoke detectors
-turn off gas lines (when applicable)
-unplug any unnecessary electronic devices such as coffee makes, toasters, hair dryer and phone chargers
-DO NOT raise the temperature on the thermostat to save money. By raising the temperature you also raise the humidity levels which can in turn can cause mold growth within 48 to 72 hours. Keep thermostat 77 degrees and below.
DIY Home Improvement Tips for our friends in Spartanburg County!
With all of this wet weather we have had it may be a good time to do some projects indoors. Thanks to our friends at AARP, here is a list of 10 indoor home improvement projects to consider! Thanks again for trusting SERVPRO of Spartanburg County.
SERVPRO of Spartanburg is a trusted leader in the restoration industry. We provide 24-hour emergency service and are dedicated to responding faster to any size disaster. With the training and expertise to handle your restoration and cleaning needs, we’re locally owned and operated and can respond immediately to your emergency. Call us at 864.576.2430!
SERVPRO of Spartanburg is also available for your carpet and tile cleaning needs!! Please call us today for a free consultation and estimate.